Tuesday, July 22, 2008

North Carolina Part 2: Gorges State Park

Sorry I didn't post this earlier today, I had scheduled it for this morning but Blogger had a problem and it didn't work.

One of the things we did on our trip to NC was go to Gorges State Park. There are three waterfalls there: the two main ones are Turtleback Falls and Rainbow Falls, and there is a small one that my dad and my brothers and I found downstream, but it doesn't have a name. We don't have any pictures of it. Mrs's family and the S's went to Gorges with us last year, so you guys will recognize these places.


This is the big one: Rainbow Falls.


This is Turtleback Falls. You can slide down it into a freezing pool at the bottom. I have never done it, mostly because it is so cold. Both of the boys and my dad have done it, though. That is Dad and Joel at the top, getting ready to slide down.


There they go! Check out Joel's hair!


That is my Uncle Mike. In every picture we have of him going down the falls he looks like he is sitting.


That rope that Joel is climbing is how you get back up to the top of the falls once you have already gone down them. The falls are to the right of Joel.

Howdy, Josh!
Now, for Rainbow Falls! This guy was crazy. He started at that log in the corner, climbed up it, and then climbed up the wall.


This is where you usually jump off into the pool. That is my Uncle Mike to the far left, and my dad is next to him.

"Cowabunga!" That is actually what he said when he went down, complete with arms in the air doing a crazy "King Neb" move. :-)

There's my Uncle Mike!

And look! It's our friend, the crazy dude! Dude, you're crazy.

Here's where the crazy dude was in relation to where the other people were jumping off. He tried to get higher (see "fantasy"), but then he looked down and decided to get a little lower (see "reality"). :-)


My Uncle Mike loves to fly fish, so he did some while we were there.


Here is a nice picture of us kids.

Well, that's it for Gorges State Park. Coming up tomorrow: A Forest, A Stream, and Mittens.

Until then, my peeps,


Peace out.

3 comments:

Mrs said...

Is your dad resting on a heating pad? Sore tooth?

It really was lovely out there. I'm glad you guys still go.

Anonymous said...

This brings back great memories! I'm so glad we get to do things like this.

Raquel said...

yea he was trying to get the water/wax out of his ears!