Friday, January 11, 2008

NC Thanksgiving

I know, I know, Thanksgiving was a long time ago. Before I even started this blog, in fact. But I want to tell you about our Thanksgiving in North Carolina at my aunt and uncle's house anyway because I have pictures to go with it!! I don't remember the exact dates everything happened, though, because the pictures saved to my computer are out of order.

One day, when the boys and girls were split up, we decided to go to the north part of the Blue Ridge after shopping to see if there was any snow. It was beautiful!


Here I am with my aunt, grandma, and mom. There was just a thin layer of snow, but it was amazing!

This was the view from where we parked.

This is my favorite picture. The tree looked so pretty!



This picture is cool, too. It is a picture of a branch up close. I love how the little ice crystals look like they are clinging to the branch.


The boys also went to the Blue Ridge and had fun playing in the snow.

On Sunday, we decided to have a picnic in the Blue Ridge. Usually the leaves have fallen by this time of year, but we were lucky. It was gorgeous!

Look at all the beautiful colors!


When my dad comes home from work, if he had a good day, he calls it a "Retire at [where he works]" day. When he has had a bad day, he says, "Take me to the Blue Ridge!" This is my dad's favorite place to be.


Here are the guys eating lunch and enjoying the view.


This is my Uncle Mike and Aunt Pam. They are renting a house in NC while my Uncle goes to school.

And here is our lovely family picture. Joel was being himself, as usual. In fact, all the guys were.


My dad...


my uncle...

And Josh, reading as usual. And we can't forget Hobbes, who enjoyed lying next to Josh while Josh was being himself. My aunt and uncle don't have a tv or computer, so we had to find other things to do. One of our favorite ways to do this was playing Scattergories. Uncle Mike and Joel really made it interesting, doing little dances everytime they got a point. One time, they had to write a vegetable that started with H, and when it was their turn to say what they put, they said, "Jalepeno! Oh, oh, yeah!!" while doing a little dance. They were quite dissapointed to learn that "jalepeno" starts with a J.

Another fun thing that I did was go horseback riding with my grandpa in the mountains of NC. It was so much fun! My horse's name was Chisel, and my grandpa rode Cowboy. I don't have pictures for it, though.

I got to help my Uncle Mike cook, which I enjoyed a lot, because my uncle makes very good food.

On Thanksgiving, we made our traditional placemats, this year using stamps. My Aunt Pam and I enjoy scrapbooking together. She is the one who got me into it.


Here is the beautifully set table. As a gift to my Aunt for letting us stay at her house, my grandma and mother bought her two new sets of dishes, since she didn't have a lot. She really liked them!


And here we are sitting at the table, extremely hungry and ready to eat. The neighbors were also over.


Afterwards, went to the neighbor's house to watch football and have dessert. Unfortunately, we were not able to play our own football game as planned because it was too cold.



And here we all are as one, big, happy family.

3 comments:

Mrs said...

Great post, Rachel! Your family probably has that same pose in front of the Blue Ridge Mountains in every season now! You could frame them and have "A Season of Ls" on your wall.

Beautiful pictures!

Anonymous said...

Hey kid, I like your blog! Keep up the good work. I sure miss those mountains! -Dad

Anonymous said...

Snow!!!!!!!!!!!! I want to see it sooo bad!!!! I love the fall leaves too!!!! Great job on your blog!!!!!

Love, Bekah

P.S. I like the picture of your dad!!!