Tuesday, February 2, 2010

English

English is a strange language.

Read this word aloud: GHOTI

Sounds like "gotee," right?

Now, pronounce these words: Rough/Women/Nation

RouGH

WOmen

NaTIon

Now, put those letters together and pronounce them the same way you did in the three previous words. GHOTI is now pronounced "Fish." Yep, fish. See, the "gh" in "rough" sounds like an "F." The "O" in "women" sounds like an "I." The "ti" in "nation" is pronounced "sh."

Fish.

I'm very glad this was my first language.

8 comments:

Mrs said...

Hmmm. . . except I don't say WashingTIN, I say WashingTON.

Still, I'm VERY thankful English is my first language!

Glenna W. said...

Whoa...you think a lot.

Joel said...

Actually, Glenna, it was our Grandpa L that told Josh and me it and then I told Rachel. So our Grandpa is the one that thinks alot.

Raquel said...

yes, Washington was not the word he used...but we couldn't remember it. Sometime I say WashingTIN, but yes, most of the time it's WashingTON. I'll have to find out what it was...

Raquel said...

All fixed! It was "women."

Unknown said...

I'm taking a TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) class this semester and a lot of my assignments are decoding things like this. :)

Joel said...

Yes, it was women. I am ashamed for not remembering. :(

grammaL said...

Actually, it was not original with Grandpa, so I'm not sure you can legitimately say he thinks a lot....except he sure does have a good memory and when he finds something good, he likes to "use" it-- like all those cute little riddles you used to beg him for more of. (If you have twentysicksheep)